Statement of Intentions on Entering the Free University of New York City
We enter the space of the Free University with a commitment to:
– Mutual respect and support
– Nonviolence with each other
– Direct democracy
As participants of the Free University:
1. we support the empowerment of each person to challenge the histories and structures of oppression that marginalize some, and divide us all. These may include ableism, ageism, classism, heterosexism, racism, religious discrimination, sexism, transphobia, xenophobia, among others.
2. we commit to learning about these different forms of oppression.
3. we understand individual freedoms are not above our collective safety, well-being, and ability to function cooperatively; individual freedom without responsibility to the community is not the Free University way.
4. we seek open and compassionate classrooms.
5. we encourage open and non-oppressive dialogues.
6. we strive for accessible interchanges of languages, knowledge, and discussions.
7. we understand and respect that there are differences among us.
8. we expect to listen and be listened to.
9. we are confident we can learn without policing or being policed.
Deliberate disruptions, accusations, violence, or other violations of this code are not within the spirit nor the hopes of the Free University.