The Principles of the Free University
- to be a cooperative enterprise working for a new form of education that re-defines what it means to be educators and students.
- to prefigure a more democratic, horizontal, and radical educational structure.
- to empower ourselves, each other, and our communities to become decision-makers in our own processes of self-education.
- to expose the inequities of the existing university system.
- to intentionally and conscientiously create educational spaces that are anti-oppressive, anti-racist, and anti-authoritarian.
- to fight against the casualization and precaritization of academic labor.
- to join others who see education as a form of direct action by withdrawing from the failing capitalist education system, and collaborating in the realization of a more accessible education for all.
In realizing these shared principles, we will reinvigorate the Commons by utilizing public spaces throughout the city. Free education is a right!!!